Responding to the latest news that there will be a ban on smoking in Michigan workplaces (including bars and restaurants and excluding Detroit Casinos (yeah, who cares those casinos are wack anyway)) starting in May 2010, and it's about damn time! It's totally one of the reasons why I loved living in NY. Public health officials have had a very hard time trying to get this passed in Michigan.
My primary joy is stemmed from the fact that I can lift my personal ban on the places that I choose not to visit on nights that my hair is freshly washed and I'm wearing brand new clothes. Tell me why do women spend hours on their hair, nails, and shopping for that perfect outfit, just to get musty, sweaty, smokey, and tore up by the end of the night? I just don't get it. It would seem more ideal, to wrap your hair with a cotton scarf to absorb the sweat, wear sweats, a old pair of dusty Nikes, and get your hair done the day after on those clubbing nights out. I remember a suede jacket being spilled on and a new pair of shoes being scuffed in 2004 - most valuable lesson I ever learned in while college.
Spoken like a real black woman, I like for my new "do" to stay fresh for as long as it can, because doing my hair is a 4 hour process. Yeah, yeah, yeah, there are products like Sebastian's Dry Clean Only and Frederic Fekkai's Au Naturel Dry Shampoo that you can now find at Target, but time and effort definitely out weighs a few hours of fun. How ironic that Chrysler Jeep's current tv ad campaign is about a woman waiting patiently for months to see her in demand hairstylist to immediately after hop in her Rangler truck to allow the wind to ruin it...so unrealistic!
My secondary joy is that we aren't subject to second-hand smoke anymore! And, I can stop smacking my lips, rolling my eyes, and coping attitudes with people that stand or sit next to me while smoking - that is a very personal offense to me and I've avoided a lot of bar brawls by deciding to move or simply leave. Isn't that just awful? Well, you know me, beauty and fashion outweighs everything else; health, groceries, bills, baby formula - just joking - reminiscing on Chris Rock's "Good Hair" (ha ha ha).



No comments:
Post a Comment