Friday, October 16, 2009

Sitting Pretty + Unemployed = A Life Makeover / Reconstruction

What's a pretty girl to do in Detroit city when...she's bored and unemployed.. That's the question I ask myself as I face my fate staring at myself in the reflection of the computer screen thinking about the $70K of loans that I have to pay off within the next 10 years. Not too long after staring at the "woman in the mirror", I noticed that I needed a facial. So the rest of my day turns into an exfoliating and moisturizing fest.

After returning to the computer listening to my nails tap the keyboard keys to send more resumes, cover letters, and design portfolios, I then noticed that I needed a manicure. That turns into me indulging into the new OPI nail colors that my sisters and I picked up earlier this week at Ulta. Currently, my nails are "Black Onyx" a glossy black nail color, and tomorrow they'll probably be "You don't know Jacques!" a grayish dark purple.

And, then I thought, what if I get a call for an interview from the tons of jobs that I applied to last week? My hair in its naturally curly "Lion King" state needs to be tamed. So the next two hours consist of finding my "Just for Me" detangler, combing out all tangles, washing my hair first with Creme of Nature's Detangling Shampoo, and washing it with my Redken Butter Down Shampoo. Then applying the Redken Butter Down Conditioner, keeping it on for a while, rinsing that off, applying the Organics Root Stimulator Olive Oil replenish pack on for a while, sitting under my dryer for 30 minutes, and then rinsing that off. Two hours have passed by now, and now I'm in the blow dryer stage - another 30 minutes. Now, the Chi Silk Infustion is ready to be applied, and here comes the blow dryer for another minute. The next step is to beg one of my sisters to press and flat iron me out - another 1.5 hours. It's a all day thing!

No matter what I do, I'm always thinking about beauty...Why!?!?!? Maybe it's because I love getting pampered, trying new beauty products, and pampering other people. My older brothers and sisters used to make fun of me because one day, my older sister noticed that I was in the bathroom for a while and said, "Girl what are you doing in there?" She caught me applying Oil of Olay on my skin at 10!. I told her that "It keeps my skin nice and supple", repeating exactly what I heard on the commercial. That remained a joke for many, many years.

My mom told me that I used to stay in her makeup, and high heels - classic times that I wish that I can remember. However, I do remember my Cabbage Patch dolls with the wired hair that  that took shape to anything I thought of. I also remember having the dolls that had some type of chemical reaction to warm water because when you applied it to the face, their makeup changed. Last but not least, I had a Barbie mannequin head that was strictly for hairstyling and makeup. My parents did it to me! And I'm not mad about it.

More later...I just noticed that my left elbow is a little rough while leaning on this desk...Where's my Palmer's Cocoa Butter?

No comments:

Post a Comment