Tuesday, January 26, 2010

MakeUp Update

The only thing in life that is constant is change, and that principal in life applies to your thought, the eco system, the cosmos, transportation design, the neighborhood you may live in, how you may feel as a person from day to day, or even the way you look.


Too many women feel that when it comes to makeup and cosmetics, what worked in 1970 may still work in 2010. I'm not referring to beauty traditions handed down from your great grandmother, like using rosewater as a natural toner - I'm speaking of the use of color, makeup technique, and application. Granted, fashion by the very definition of the word is the style and custom prevalent at a given time and the course of design and fashion will change more rapidly than the culture as a whole. Meaning that a look or trend from the 1970s may return to the runway in 2008 and then again in 2010, but its usually almost always modernized and updated each time the trend reappears. The classic red lip is nearly the only thing that will never go out of style, however, because of bacterial concerns I wouldn't recommend keeping a tube for over twenty years, but a pair of gold gilded pants, yes keep them! 


Yeah, I know you hate it when you find that perfect eyeshadow color or lipstick and then Bobbi Brown or MAC discontinues the color (to beat the system you must stock up and by five at time as I do, but I'm a makeup artist - orange lipstick is not for an everyday look). Ironically, I'm happy that cosmetic companies do follow trends and introduce updated colors to their lines, because a few of you may still be wearing that same pale blue color, or hot pink lipstick everyday to work for the next five years to come.

Nail polish colors may have a bit of staying power and predictability as does the classic red lipstick, but the length and shape of a nail by far must be shaved down (there's no more SWV Coco'ing it with the 10" talons). To wrap up this blurb, I just wanted to note a few "No, No's" and "Yes, Yes's" when it comes to makeup updating;




"No, No" No.1 - Do Not, I repeat, Do Not line your lips in black or dark brown lip liner. 
"Yes, Yes" No. 1- Lips should be lined in a color that is similar, if not the exact match of your lip color, which purpose is to prevent your lip color from feathering and to provide a base for long wear.



"No, No" No. 2 - Do Not wear lashes that are so thick and unreal that individual lashes are not distinguishable from two feet away (and if they look as if by the batting of your eyes you can send a rush of cool air across the church on a hot Sunday morning then you're doing too much.)
"Yes, Yes" No. 2 - Lashes are in, like they were in the 60s and 70s, so indeed glue them on, have them extended by a professional, or apply Latisse, but make them look as natural as possible. Alicia Keys and Rihanna's makeup artists / estheticians do a really good job at adding intensity with lashes without going "drag". 




"No No" No.3 - Caked on foundation is out! Do not beat your face so hard, that it looks as if  your face is made of dry powdered dust. 
Yes, Yes No.3 - Supple, glowy, moisturized foundation finishes are key. Work on getting that complection of yours as flawless as it can be to wear less makeup, or maybe just a tinted moisturizer on daily basis. In addition to that, try using a liquid water based foundation; mixing your daily moisturizer in with your powder foundation; or applying a product like MAC Fix+ after you apply your foundation to allow it to set and look a little more dewy.


Have a Blushed Day...

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mashawnta,

    This is Kierra. I was reading your blogspot & i have a question. I have such a hard time figuring out the best method for applying liquid foundation. Is it best to use a foundation brush, the sponge, your fingers? (I know you shouldn't use your hands. Also have you ever tried mousse foundation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kierra, its best to use the sponge to apply it to your face in dabs that are go across the center or your forehead, under your eyes, on your nose and the bridge of your nose, jaw line, and chin. (You can also use a fan brush to apply/streak liquid foundation across your face).

    The next thing that I would recommend is to then use is the foundation brush, which is usually a synthetic bristled, wide, flat, tapered brush. Work from inside of your face out.

    When I spray my face with my aerosol foundation I use my entire hand to work it over and blend in, because it leaves just enough coverage on my face - and excess is taken away with my hands.

    I have tried mousse, and I really like it because its not as runny, but not like cake icing and thick as a MAC Studio Tech foundation. But what I really want to try is a new foundation by L'Oreal that comes with a little roller brush (like a paint roller brush). I actually thought about that idea a couple of times, guess I should have patented the idea, huh? I haven't found it on the drugstore shelves yet, but I do have a couple of coupons to save $3 from last weeks paper that I'm going to use.

    Next time I see you, I'll show you. Thanks for your question.

    ReplyDelete